Creating your entry
There are many resources that you might find helpful in competing in an Open Date competition.
Learn how to code Online tutorials that guide you through practical examples of coding. There are many levels of tutorials that you can explore and have fun with.
- http://code.org/learn/beyond (suitable for 13-18 year old competitors)
Create Stories, Games and Animations
Create a website Create a free website through these platforms that are easy to use, and provide a domain name, support and templates.
- Integrate computer vision features into your app monocular.jemsoft.co
- Create infographics/picture charts: http://piktochart.com/
- Creating charts in MS Excel
- Ask the web to calculate for you http://www.wolframalpha.com/
Excel help These tutorials will help you sort through data and learn other Excel skills
Create videos Create a video by using the free video maker Windows Video Maker by downloading http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-live/movie-maker You can also follow these instructions to use iMovie:
- iMovie on iPad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCTQjmsCZRk
- iMovie on Mac http://www.macworld.com/article/2053681/getting-started-with-imovie.html
Entrepreneurship tools Explore entrepreneurial ideas and tools available through the links below:
Prototyping on paper If you can draw you can design apps.
- https://popapp.in/ Free tool that turns hand-drawn wireframes into tappable app prototypes
- invision http://www.invisionapp.com/ Free tool that transforms your designs into interactive prototypes complete with gestures, transitions & animations for web, iOS & Android.
- Green Industries SA's App 'Share N Save' Share N Save is a map application for sharing, borrowing and swapping items. Put in your postcode and have a look at what you can share, swap and borrow near you. Click and drag on the map, zoom in and out and have a play. The Share N Save content management system and the mapping software (including the icons and design files) were released in 2015 as open source on Github.
Understand terms used in the competition
For more useful resources, visit the GovHack Developer Kit.